Monday

Pomeroy Falls



Today I went to Pomeroy Falls in Platte Clove, and did a watercolor sketch for The Sketchbook Project 2012. It was an absolutely beautiful day out there! I'll go back soon to do an oil painting, perhaps from a different vantage point.

Here's a photo I took holding up the sketchbook, with the scene in the background.



There are 15, two-page spreads in the sketchbook they send for this Brooklyn Art Library project, so I'm about 30% done already. I'm thinking that I just might be able to finish before the bitter cold weather sets in, which would be great! I'm a total wimp when it comes to painting out in the cold.

7 comments:

  1. Looks great, more than a sketch, that's a painting! A beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

    I was sketching waterfalls yesterday, too. Love seeing how you did yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lori- it's more than a sketch- that is indeed a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gals are sweet. Thanks so much.

    Lori, I tend to think of most plein air work as "just a sketch" more or less. That's pretty much all we have time for with the moving light!

    Melissa, where were you sketching? I'll look to see if yours is posted anywhere.....

    Roxanne, hi! I never really feel like I have a grip on watercolor; it's as if something about it always eludes me. But I'm still tryin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super job on this, Jamie!!! The double page spread is perfect for scenes like this. You colors and light are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:55 PM

    Great Sketch! And great blog entry. I love the double picture, showing your sketch with the real scene in the background. You should do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joan, thank you!

    Bill, I actually mean to do that almost all the time, but I get so wrapped up in the artwork process, and then packing up or having to move, that most of the time I just forget! Thank you for your comment, and I'll try to remember to get the camera out more often during the painting process.

    ReplyDelete