Tuesday

Summertime at the Beach

11x17" across a two page spread of a Stillman & Birn Beta Hardbound sketchbook
Golden Fluid Acrylics

I think this is one of the busiest summers I've ever had. In addition to lots of painting and taking a one week workshop, I've been having such a great time with my husband while he's been on vacation that it's been hard for me to keep up with photographing images and writing posts. I've been sketching like a madwoman, so I've got a lot of catching up to do!

This was sketched on location at North Lake Beach while out painting with my friend Nancy. Sometimes I just don't want the pressure of feeling like I need to turn out a "finished painting", so I relax and play in my sketchbook. This was one of those occasions when in spite of wanting to work larger, I knew I wouldn't have time to complete a large painting. I couldn't stand the thought of yet another large, unfinished painting hanging around in my studio, and I didn't want to work small. It was just what the doctor ordered for this summer day by the water. I'm liking this scene a lot and will probably go back and do a painting from here sometime soon.

I'm loving working in these Stillman & Birn Beta Hardbound sketchbooks. The 180 pound paper doesn't buckle at all, and it's possible to experiment with all sorts of grounds and surface preparation, as well as any medium. I have an 8.5x11", and also recently started a 5.5x8.5" version for when I'm out hiking and can't carry such a large book with me.

2 comments:

  1. Delightful. I feel 'summer'... the lovely NY summer when I look at this. The beauty of painting from your sketchbook entry is that the day and all you felt will transfer to your canvas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been more than forty years since I lived in the Hudson Valley and I still miss that area. It was beautiful down every back road at all times of the year! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete